So this is it. My first steps into virtual philately!

Hi, I'm Adrian, originally from Holland but now well-rooted in Bonnie Scotland. I've been collecting stamps ever since I was a young kid (a mere 41 now!) and have now finally found the time to start working properly on my collection.

I'm basically still a general all world collector but with emphasis on definitives. I usually pick out a few interesting articles about a certain series and then try to set up a collection of that set, with stamps, covers and information.

My best collection is that of the Swiss Landscapes stamps of 1934-48. I've got some 60 pages on that one and there's a few gems in there, so I'm quite chuffed with that.

At the moment I'm mounting my Dutch Beatrix definitives. I'm well up to date with those even though I don't go to Holland that often anymore, but there's plenty of folk there willing to hunt down items for me. It's the older stuff that is giving more trouble. I only started to like the Beatrix definitives by the time I emigrated to the UK (2001) so I've got a lot of catching up to do with the pre-Euro sets. I've got all the basic stuff though, and am now trying to get a nice collection of coil strips and cylinder blocks.

And there's a few more Dutch sets waiting to be mounted, as well as Falkland Islands Flora, USA Great Americans and of course those Machins.... I've tried various ways of mounting them but so far none have been satisfactorily. And there's so many of them! What I'm trying now is to work my way back in time per value, so I've started with the new 2 values of 2006.

In general, I start my collections with an introduction of the set, which may include (scans of) essay material, the reasons for the set, basic types, etc. After that I treat the set per value, so those pages would include the basic stamps, varieties, covers (for rates for that particular stamp), overprints, etc. And then I end with various 'chapters' such as se-tenants, and cancellations. So far (I've been doing this for a couple of months now) I'm quite pleased with the result.

My other philatelic interest is writing. Ideally, at some point in the far future, I would love to publicize articles, etc. Which is basically why I've started this blog; to become experienced in philatelic writing. I'm also a member of the Kirkcudbright Philatelic Society and have just agreed to take on the production of a newsletter, so that will be great fun too!

I'm also hoping to get more information from you regarding the various sets I'm working on. There's always so many unanswered questions and if only all pieces of information were compiled and maybe eventually written down in a single publication, this would be to the benefit of us collectors! So expect lots of questions from me!

But first I've got to try and get this blog properly working, so I think I had better read the 'get started' section first before I have to type this for a third time!

Take care and see you soon,
Adrian

Comments

Paulo Viola said…
Adrian is a Great guy. We know each other for a very long time and he got me a penny black.
JUST WOW!!!!!

Great blog Adrian!!!
Michael said…
Adrian, excellent well done.. love the layout and style and articles are very interesting... you have mastered the art form already.. :-) will add link best wishes.. michaelatcddstamps
Anonymous said…
Super color scheme, I like it! Good job. Go on.
»