LEBANON - CEDAR TREE

Now, The Lebanon wouldn't be an obvious choice for many stamp collectors, I don't think, but I was sorting some general stuff yesterday and came upon all these definitives I was once given in a swap with someone from over there. I'd forgotten about those and remembered that I was quite intrigued by them. They all carry the Cedar of Lebanon, the national symbol (something to do with: "The cedar in the heaven of God is unmatched by cypress and unresembling in its branches..." and "the trees of God resemble the Cedars of Lebanon which he planted..." from the Bible) or anyway a symbol of immortalism. The first cedar tree definitives were issued in 1925 and they are still around. They are usually part of a larger definitive set and the image is always used for the lowest values. The nice thing is that there are so many different ones, like these (ranging from 1946 to the recent one). I think it would be great to have a collection of all the different types!

The other set that I was quite pleased with is the 1965 set depicting birds and butterflies. They are a bit like so many colourful recess-printed definitives from the (former) French territories but these were quite nicely done, I think (probably because there are birds on them!).

I love the partridge stamp. We have partridges roaming around where we live (different species) and they're just the cutest birds!

:-)
Adrian

Comments

Anonymous said…
This site is one of the best I have ever seen, wish I had one like this.
»