SAD STORY
I was mounting this postcard, which is quite plain in its own, but the writing on it is a poignant reminder of how things were during WW2.

The writer, a Joop Liefkind from Amsterdam, writes:

...This is to say that I have written a letter to Mr. v. Dalen telling him that you'd like to hear something from him. However I did not receive an answer from him. Further I want to tell you that my cousin has not heard anything from her parents since the war started. She'd like to drop them a few lines I have advised her to write a letter to you. I hope you will be so kind and send on the letter to the same address as the letter of my brother in law, which I wrote to you in my previous letter.... ...Conditions are still the same here. Let us hope this year will bring peace so that we can look ahead to normal times....

I'm getting images of a family torn and spread out over the world, normal channels of communication gone, seemingly not being able to get in touch with anyone, and what with this card taking almost ten months to get to Mrs Drake in Philadelphia, USA...

It's a weird feeling to suddenly get a glimpse of real life in those days, makes you wonder what pain, hope or fear is behind it all...

Adrian

Comments