I love the way the French describe a perforation shift: un piquage à cheval. Sounds so very intriguing! I've always thought it was French for a knight's move in chess, but that, apparently, is "marche du cavalier". Piquage, I suppose, comes from the verb piquer, meaning things such as to prick, to stitch, so that would be the perforation bit. But what's the horsey doing there? And why would a piquer à cheval mean a saddle stitch? Hmm.

Oh, before I forget, this is what horsey did to my Arc de Triomphe stamp:

How could he!



Anonymous said…
"A cheval" means that the printing goes across two stamps (ie a single picture is split up by the perfs) or that two halves of the picture can be seen on a single stamp (like in your example).

I guess it comes from the idea that when you are "a cheval" (ie riding a horse), you have leg on each side of it :¬)