Saturday, August 23, 2008

REICHENBACHIA


Yes, it's still flower power time, and why not, eh?! We're doing orchids today. Sander published his famous Reichenbachia book at the end of the 19th century. The book, and especially its botanic artwork, is still very famous today. In the 1980s, Guyana, that country which on its own takes up about a third of a whole world stamp catalogue, but who cares when they produce stuff like this, produced stamp sets which depicted this artwork. Later, most if not all values were reissued with overprinted values.


While usually steering clear of issues like these, my flower article did lead me there, and as a result I now have a few of the overprinted values. Couldn't go for the original issue, as I was looking for a certain value which I could only find overprinted. But hey, they're so gorgeous that it does not really matter. So here's a feast for your eyes:


and this is my favourite of the lot I have, by the Scot Walter Hood Fitch:


Beautiful aren't they?!


:-)
Adrian

No comments: