Friday, February 06, 2009

Unhinged
We're going back to Scotland to finish the bit about the Scottish Wildings. I showed you one of the three designs the other day. Here are the remaining two. John B. Fleming designed the 6d reddish purple, with the Scottish thistle as main design feature.

This design was also used for the 9d bronze-green. The final design is my favourite, as it has a real regal feel to it. It shows the two unicorns bearing the Royal Standard of Scotland (left) and the Saltire (right).

The design is by A. B. Imrie and was used for this 1s6d stamp and the 1s3d value in green.

And that completes the nine basic values. But there's more! Well, there would be, wouldn't there?! If we go a step further we find that there's cream and white paper used, paper with and without watermark, stamps with and without phosphor bands, various number and placements of those phosphor bands, and various types of phosphor used. That bumps up the total of stamps to be collected to 27! But still within grasp, I would say!

I'm glad to say I've got the 27 singles sorted so I am now concentrating on a further step: the cylinder blocks and the constant varieties. I've only just started on those but I've already found an interesting block. This is the 1s3d from cylinder 4, printed on cream paper with watermark. The nice thing about this one is that it includes a constant variety! Can you spot it? I know it's hard from a small picture like this, so I'll give you a clue: it concerns the stamp in position R19/2.

No, I thought it might be too hard like this. Well, I put the flaw of stamp R19/2 next to the same bit of a stamp without the flaw and then you'll see that the lower hinge of the royal standard of Scotland is incomplete.

This broken hinge was never retouched so when later a new cylinder was made, no. 8, it was still present! Oh, the joys of stamp collecting!

:-)
Adrian

No comments: