Tour of Europe (II)
We're still in Switzerland and we're still at the fair in Zurich! And you can picture me still looking for those Helvetia with Sword issues! Now what I like about small format definitives is that they look so very nice in a block of four. That, or so I've been told, is the traditional way of collecting stamps. The British Royal Collection is full of them so why not mine too? But I do tend to opt for blocks of the cheaper stamps, it's gentler on the wallet! But it does look nice, doesn't it?

:-)

My final HwS item was a 1920 airmail stamp.

This stamp was part of a pair issued in 1919/20. They were the first Swiss airmail stamps. I believe they were invalidated somewhere in 1921 (any info on that greatly welcomed), so they will have had a short lifespan which probably accounts for their healthy catalogue value. Needless to say I had to leave the fair after this!

But on the Monday after I had just about enough time and Swiss francs left to run down (well, up, actually, my goodness, these streets in Zurich keep you healthy!) to the nearest post office where I fell for the current bird definitives. And I had so hoped not to do that! I quite like the stamps but they're not very presentable with their crummy backing paper.

They look nicer in a booklet though!

Anyways, that was the end of our Swiss journey. Tune in later this week to find out where I was off to next!

:-)
Adrian

Comments