Saturday, June 25, 2011

And on..
Yes, more on Monnet! Sorry! But I just got some more in so I thought I'd continue the theme for a wee while longer. We've already seen a few of the stamps issued to mark the birth centenary of Monnet. But West Germany issued a stamp in 1977 for a more original reason: to mark the fact that Monnet was awarded the "Citizen of Europe" honour.



West Germany was again among the lot in 1988 to mark the birth centenary. I'm showing you that stamp not because if that or because it's so beautiful. Indeed not! I'm including it because it shows so well how recess-printed stamps are so much more beautiful than stamps produced in other ways. Here is the German stamp in lithography.And here, to remind you, is that French stamp again, in recess, which I showed you some days ago.You may make up your own mind as to which one is better (though I will say that the difference shows better when looking at them in real life). Now I'm not an expert on Monnet, far from it, and so I thought he was the founder of the ECSC, but when I got the 1971 Italian set in which marks the first 20 years of the ECSC, Monnet was nowhere to be seen.The only men depicted are Adenauer, Schuman and De Gasperi. So a little further research found that the ECSC was founded on the basis of the Schuman Declaration (Schuman being the French Foreign Minister at the time). It makes therefore sense to have him included. The other two are basically two European heavyweights for both Germany and Italy who supported the foundation of the ECSC. Monnet was "only" the first President of the ECSC, but is also widely regarded as the real writer of the Schuman Plan.

:-)

Adrian

No comments: