Thursday, June 30, 2011

Extras

I've probably said this before, but sometimes buying a bigger lot will yield a nice surprise or two. And so I was looking for a French armistice stamp of 1968, and found that buying the 1968 year set would be much more cost effective. So I did and they arrived yesterday. While sorting them I found two stamps that would fit perfectly in two collections I don't have but have been thinking about starting up for some time now!

The first one is this stamp marking the 300th anniversary of the first Treaty of Aix-la-Chapelle. It's a lovely stamp on its own but it contains the Arms of France and Flanders. Now I think heraldry is a fascinating subject and coats of arms always look great on stamps, so I would love to one day start a heraldry collection. Do any of you collect this? I have no idea how to set up such a thing, as I don't want to just collect them and that's that. So I suppose I'm looking for some sort of framework here. A general development of arms? Various subjects depicted on arms? Families? Countries, Cities? I haven't really looked into this yet, so I'm interested to hear if you collect heraldry and how you collect heraldry.

The second item I found useful is the 1968 set for Europa. This is a lot more straightforward, because one day I'd love to have a basic collection of all those Europa stamps of the 50sd, 60s and 70s, when countries adapted and used a single design.
So much for my downsizing programme!
:-)
Adrian


No comments: