Monday, October 31, 2011

I see green

Well well well. I only recently reported on a major change in the French definitives (see here), and here's yet another one! This is turning out to be a very nice and varied set!
I'm not totally in the know but I believe that for a long time there have been green definitives, representing a slower, surface mail rate. Now, these green definitives have become properly green.
The general definitive image has been placed into a leaf, ramming home its economic-friendly message. The publicity bumph glorifies the eco-friendly rate, as no airplanes are being used in the transport of mail franked with these stamps. Everyday users have, I believe, been grumbling for years that this rate represents mail taking ages and ages to reach its destination. But there you go.
I love the design, think it's quirky, and I like the idea behind it. And it's a perfect sideline in a collection of this set.
And what's even better: instead of the one green stamp which we used to have, the green stamp is now available for four different weight rates, in four different shades of green.
I'm a fan!
:-)
Adrian

2 comments:

GBStamps said...

No airplanes...didn't we call that "surface mail"? Now the once-poor stepchild of faster airmail service is reborn as green mail.

Who would have guessed?

--Larry

marcooni said...

French stamps always seem to be printed in draft mode how about some ink on those stamps